Did you know that pollen season can last from late February through October? If you or a loved one suffer from allergy symptoms, the following tips for avoiding pollen may help:
- Limit early morning activity
- Remove shoes outside of the house
- Do not line-dry bedding or clothes outside
- Maintain indoor humidity below 45%
- Take a shower at night
- Stay away from smoke and alcohol
- Stay inside on humid and windy days
- Use air conditioning
- Limit house plants to a minimum
- Limit use of contact lenses
- Avoid parking cars under trees
- Don’t rub eyes
- Limit contact with pets
- Wash hands after working outdoors
I know it can be difficult to do all of these at times, but the more you’re able to do, the better off you’ll be.
I never used to have allergies when I was younger, but as a young adult I started getting them, and the older I get the more they bother me. Some of the things on this list are tough for me, but I’ve accepted doing them because they do make my life easier. Here’s just a few:
- I love the fresh air and wish I could leave my windows open much longer than I do, but it’s so true about turning the air conditioner on instead. This is definitely one I don’t like doing, but will do to make my life easier. Remember though, to change or clean your filters in your air vents monthly.
- I also have chosen to get rid of my live plants in the house. First of all, as much as I love them and enjoy their beauty, I don’t have a green thumb and so they don’t seem to last long anyway. But the mold that builds up in the dirt definitely causes me issues, so I’ve gotten rid of all of my live plants and have artificial ones instead. They’re not as beautiful as real ones, but the upside to this, besides bettering my allergy issues, is that I don’t kill another live plant 🙂
- Now the one listed that I can’t do is to get rid of my precious dogs. They are family to me, and there’s no way I can get rid of them. They love me unconditionally, always welcome me at the door when I come inside, and are my walk partners when we take our walks. D.O.G. (upper right pic) is always by my side ready to protect and guard me, and Chewie (lower right pic) is my little baby I can cuddle and love on, who has such a big personality. Yeah, there’s no way I will get rid of my boys 🙂 (Left pic: both laying on the sofa together)
I hope the list above is helpful, and just remember, the more you do, the better you’ll feel.
And don’t forget, clean carpet helps alleviate allergy symptoms too. If you or a family member suffers from allergies, have your carpet cleaned by an IICRC (CleanTrust) Certified Firm at least annually.
Your local IICRC (CleanTrust) Certified Firm in the Tampa Bay area is Apex Floor & Furniture Care.
If you’re not in this area, go to the IICRC website to find one in your area. Using an IICRC Certified Firm will help you protect your investment. Many carpet mills, including the largest in the world, Shaw Industries states in their warranty, that it will be void if you use anyone other than an IICRC Certified Firm. Our desire is to help you protect your investment!
And whether you’re in our area or not, please don’t hesitate to ask us any questions you may have in our comment section. We’d be happy to help any way we can.
Ron & Jackie Wood, CMTC (Certified Master Textile Cleaners)